Sunday, September 9, 2007

This is what happens when Pauline leaves

I am very, very sad. I knew that by going to Cairo, I would be leaving my friends and family for a year and that they might miss me as much as I missed them. But I knew that life would go on usually without me. But maybe I was too modest in assuming that life would go on as usual without me, because I know there is a place in Ann Arbor that misses me very, very much. That place is the Big House, the sacred ground that has recently been disgraced by the triumph of both Appalachian State and now Oregon. Oh the Humanity!! Falling from number 5 to unranked in the polls was bad enough, and then the wolverines had to go and prove that the loss to app. state wasn't just a fluke, it was inevitable. Why? Because that frizzle frazzle fan who sounds like an ambulance siren and swears like a sailor isn't there. She isn't there to scream words of comfort to Henne, telling Chad it's okay that he just threw an interception. She isn't there to mock the referees when they make a bad call, then to congratulate them when they make a proper one (of course always checking with Judge Wade to see what I should scream first) She isn't there to try and catch hot dogs from hot dog man, and then to cheer "let him stay" a the security drags him away after he refuses to stop projecting the delicious hot dogs for us to eat. She isn't there to dance to the fight song, especially that trumpet bit that is so good. She isn't there to wish the wrath of God upon the other team, but at least she doesn't have to watch our cheerleaders make that stupid "N". So, if Chad, Mike, Lloyd, or Mario are reading this blog--I know they are big fans--I want to say to you all, that I know its hard. I know it may seem like the games just aren't worth winning if Pauline isn't around. You might just want to give up and roll over, or just fly to Cairo and join a cultural immersion program to be near your number one fan. But you can't give up, you must persevere. You have to make do with Steve's voice, even though its an accepted fact that Pauline is louder than him. Remember that even though I may not be in the stands screaming like a maniac, over here my blood still runs maize and blue, and I really don't want to explain to the camels why I am crying all the time over a pack of wolverines.

1 comment:

Frances said...

I'm TRYING ok?? I've got the loudest voice in the stands going, especially when everyone is leaving third quarter, but I think I lack the frizzy hair factor. you got me on that.