Friday, December 14, 2007

Really? Australia? Really?


I had to post the photo or else no one would believe me. So about 2 months ago, my sister sent me "package" of airheads. They are my favorite candy, and she had decided to send them into a small envelope with a letter to me. My sister, Markell, had been scoring the highest for successful mail to me in Egypt. Apparently San Francisco and Cairo have a direct postal route, and my other family and friends were confounded how my sister was able to send me mail when they seemed to fail so consistently. So when Markell asked me if I had received my airheads, and I kept saying not yet, we were surprised, but assumed that they had been lost like the other forgotten letters sent by my mother and boyfriend. We forgot about the airheads, and hoped that some customs officer was enjoying my gift.

That was all until last Tuesday, when I found this is in my mailbox. It was a badly beaten, and taped up envelope from my sister. Immediately my eyes went passed the Arabic script Egyptian customs tape, and saw the bright yellow strip of tape which sealed up one of the corners. The tape loudly and proudly proclaimed "Opened by Australian Post for Inspection by Quarantine" No joke. See photo for proof. It went to freakin Australia. Why? You will have to take that up the International Union for Postal Workers, cause last time I checked, Australia is not on the way from the states to Egypt, nor does Cairo some how sound like Australia, so I really have no explanation. All I got is my airheads, and that makes me happy enough.

1 comment:

Markell Lewis Miller said...

so bizarre!!!! glad you got them finally! :-)