Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cairoville

So one of my Egyptian friends is a music producer/arranger, and he has been trying to get me to come check out the studio and see what sort of work he does. Last Tuesday I finally went, and I am kicking myself that I didn't go earlier. I stepped into the studio, and I felt like I was stepping into one of the many recording studios of my native Nashville. I was quickly introduced to a number of musicians, producers, managers, and technicians who came and went in and out of the sound proof room. My host sat me down, brought me some tea (10:00pm) went to the computer, and they all went to work as I sat mesmerized. A female vocalist was finishing her track, and then they four violinists came to do the strings. The lead male vocalist was practicing his English with me, while he taught me some Arabic musical terms. As always, they were very gracious with my Arabic abilities, flattering me so that I would open up, and we all got a long very well. The group's producer began to teach me some Arabic calligraphy and all the meanwhile, the strings kept taking take after take after take. I loved every minute of it. First of all, the song was incredibly catchy, so having to hear it over and over again was fantastic. Secondly, it was great to hear "Wait wait, lets do that again." and "I hear a mistake..I hear one of the violins going off"..."Take it from the arpeggio" and various other sentences in Arabic. At one point the police came to check out the studio, apparently a neighbor had called even though it was soundproof, and I joked how they were coming for the American spy. I got lots of laughs to my relief. The music was fabulous, and the musicians were even better. Sometimes I feel like I don't give young Egyptian men the credit they deserve. The cat calls and the stares in the streets has hardened my heart, and I have to remember that under that gelled hair and young face is probably a good heart and maybe even a hell of a violinist. All of these young men were extremely respectful and fun; music was their passion and it was fun to share it with them. All of them had other jobs, but they all secretly aspired to be successful musicians. For a moment, I forgot that I was half way around the world, miles away from my home. I may have been in Cairo, but it really felt like I was on music row. Now I just need to find the equivalent of the Pancake Pantry and I will be set.

2 comments:

Bagz said...

pauline,

in response to your facebook message: yeah, you'd most certainly not find the body of the Shah in Iran. I believe his first wife was Egyptian, so I guess it makes sense that he wound up there.

more importantly, where can we hear this wonderful catchy song mentioned in the post?

Liz said...

take me with you next time! sounds like it was so fun