Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Quotable Qur'an

Today I spent some time memorizes a few passages from the Qur'an. I figure that it is about time that I fully commit to memory some of the passages that I spend so much time learning about. Before I can say I properly understand this complex religion, I had better try reading, understanding, and being able to accurately repeat the words. During my days with my tutor, I began to learn how to recite the holy scripture, as there is a whole art and science to it. She gave me some advice to keep in mind while learning reading/reciting the Qur'an:

1. Have Patience
2. Be Diligent
3. Listen to recordings
4. Don't be proud, you will make mistakes, and you have to accept that.
5. Have a specific goal in mind.

I thought this was good advice for any student, of any subject. I memorized two suras, or passages, before I had to end my lessons. But on my own, I have taken to practicing some of the messages of the Qur'an that I have always learned about, but never fully discovered in its true Arabic form. Specifically, these are on Islam's essential tolerance for other religions, and its encouragement of peaceful religious diversity.I apologize for my awkward English translations, but I think you'll get the point.

"This is the truth from your Lord; then he who will, let him believe, and he who will not, let him disbelieve." - from al-Kahf

"To the unbelievers: I do not worship as you worship, nor do you worship as I worship. I do not worship those that you worship, nor do you worship Him Whom I worship; that is because you follow one faith and I follow another faith." -from al-Kafiroon

"There is no compulsion in religion." -from al-Baqarah

I write these words over and over, I listen to the recordings of the revered sheikhs recite these words, and I practice my own recitations to fully cement these sayings in my mind. I try to maintain my patience, my diligence, make sure to listen to the sounds, and I believe after four years of studying one of the hardest languages, I have almost lost all my pride. As for my goal? I keep that ahead of me always. My goal is to be prepared to speak up in a taxi cab if an ignorant driver tries to tell me that I have to convert (hasn't happened, but I'm prepared if it does.) More importantly, my goal is spread to the word to non-Muslims that this is what Islam says, this is what the religion of our brothers and sisters teaches, and I know because I have read the text. I know its complicated, and its up to interpretation. But there are only so many ways that you can interprete "Unto me, my religion, and unto you, your religion". I don't care if you catch me at a party, at the library, or at the corner Walgreens. If I hear you talking about the religious intolerance of the Islamic faith, prepare to get a earful. In Arabic. And I will be citing the Qur'an in my footnotes.

No comments: