Saturday, February 16, 2008

Who needs a road side bomb?

Who needs a road side bomb when you can buy a hand gun? Who needs a hand grenade when you can just use your 2nd amendment-cited-God-endorsed-right to own an object whose sole purpose is to take a human life? Don't worry about your right to not die in a bloody shoot out in a lecture hall, we must provide our other citizens with the right to buy a hand gun from their local store. If not, they might turn to buying their weapons on the black market, and then it would be unregulated, and suddenly you might have all sorts of maniacs buying guns and using them to open fire on university campuses and city halls, and you couldn't even imagine what sort of inhumanity that would be! But thank goodness this isn't the case, the massacre at Virginia Tech didn't happen, the murders at NIU didn't actually occur, and classes went as normal at Louisiana Technical College.

Supposedly, I am the one surrounded by violence in the Middle East. Supposedly, I should be the one scared to walk outside my front door for fear of a war breaking out or out of panic that a revolutionary guard might kidnap me and videotape me in tears. Supposedly, I should be the one in danger of losing my life to senseless violence, not American students on a University campus. It should be me, not the slain students of Virginia Tech. It should be me, not those recently murdered at Northern Illinois University. Instead, I find the news from American news splattered with stories that make me frightened to return home. Here's a head line for you, "AMERICAN GIRL AFRAID TO RETURN HOME FOR FEAR OF LIFE". I don't even want to compare the murder rates of Cairo and DC, that actually might seal the deal for me and make me cancel my plane ticket.

Gun violence by people with no criminal record, no history of erratic behavior, no reason to be turned down by the current gun laws is becoming an epidemic. How many more people need to lose their lives in a "safe" place before we do something about it? How many people must be sacrificed for the nonsensical logic of legally buying guns to protect yourself from other citizens who have legally bought guns? America is supposedly fighting a war against terror, but from over here, it looks like the terrorist are not only winning, but we are happily and legally supplying them with their weapons of choice.

2 comments:

Bagz said...

Pauline, I enjoyed the new updates, especially the comments on the hijab section. I can't offer any intelligent insight into that topic, but you do look healthy and tan in that picture. But I suppose that isn't shocking given your location.

Last two weeks of May. Iran. Consider it.

Liz said...

have i mentioned i love you? mostly because we always agree? haha great update lady